JCCHS offers recommendations and best practices provided by the Department of Health and Senior Services and the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to reopening schools. These are only recommendations and not required.
Reopening Guidance FAQs from Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
Our goal is to provide local school districts with a variety of recommendations specific to Johnson County and reopening schools. Every school district is unique, which requires a plan specific to their needs to stop the spread.
- Some will require face masks.
- Some will offer distance or e-learning.
- Some will adjust their schedule.
- Some will do a combination of all these recommendations.
Reopening protocol is decided by each school district.
Schools will make changes to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- We know that when large groups of people are together inside – like in a school – there is an opportunity for the virus to spread.
- We need to use everything we’ve learned about safety precautions since the pandemic began to stop the spread at school and keep students and their families healthy.
- By making these changes, we can stop the spread of COVID-19 in our schools and have a safe and healthy school year.
JCCHS’ role is to provide guidance and suggestions as needed, as the county continues to work toward stopping the spread of COVID-19. JCCHS will keep the districts informed of the prevalence of COVID-19 in the county, and any potential need for implementing different protocols or safety precautions as the county moves forward.
I tested positive…
Preparing for a safe return to school
CDC provides guidelines and recommendations from the critical role schools play to transmission of COVID-19 in schools.
Symptom checking starts at home
Parents are encouraged to keep sick student(s) home. Monitor symptoms and take temperature before sending to school.
Additional resources by DESE
Here are some resources provided by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) provides some answers to frequently asked questions regarding heading back-to-school.
How to Support Student
Learning at Home
Remote learning information for parents and students provided by DESE.
Supporting Educators and
Learning during COVID-19
Guidance from DESE for school leaders to support continued education at home.